My Favourite Decor Books

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Not for the faint hearted ...

Hi everyone, well you ALL know, I'm a BIG fan of colour, as it can completely change the mood of any room.

I can appreciate that a lot of you love the soft, romantic whites and that's fine, it's all about personal taste after all, and what makes us happy.

These last few days I've been painting away, between groaning with back ache, because let's face it, painting is back aching work!

Two years ago now, I asked hubby to paint my entrance hall which is a good equivalent to Farrow and Ball's Downpipe



He resisted for about five minutes whilst I convinced him that I knew what I was doing, and just to paint!

It does look good - against the white of the woodwork, it really works, punctuated with wall art, it creates immediate visual interest when you open the front door!  

So have any of you been watching Abigail Ahern's TV programme Get Your House in Order???

Wow, what an explosion of dark moody colours, all carefully coordinated with an injection of  bold colour!

I love her style, no French country whites here....just punchy, in your face decor!


So.....




this weekend I was lucky enough to attend one of her Master classes ...
can't begin to tell you just how inspirational it was...






















(all pics by me - please do not use without asking)


Abi has a book out called A girl's guide to decorating










A practical but inspirational book - from putting up shelving, how to wallpaper painting floors and so much more - available from Amazon.


Are you inspired yet???


Back to painting...
until next time

Sharon

xxx


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this look. I'm torn between light pastel shades which have a kind of translucent quality and dark moody ones that draw you in and surround you. Our cottage is so tiny I must use lighter shades but this grey, and those photos are inspiring. I'll have a look at her book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love it and have been trying to find a little corner in my cottage where a darker,moody colour would work....i first fell in love with this look after seeing a room in the movie 'Grey Gardens' you can see the glamorous dark purple walls in this link Sharon ttp://abloomsburylife.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/grey-gardens-bs-before-squalor.html
    I shall have to check out Abi's book too it looks really interesting.
    Have a beautiful week XxX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I love pale, light schemes I'm getting into grey recently! These images look great. The darkest I've gone though is Elephant's Breath (which is not very dark). Like the look of this book aswell, might be my next purchase.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, so please go ahead and leave me a message